Call for more information on 1300 30 35 40

Helping the Western Australian community stay active and alert to prevent slips, trips and falls.

Who can help if I have had a fall?

A number of health professionals can help you if you have had a fall.

Exercise Physiologists:

Exercise physiologists can program you with exercises that can help prevent fall as well as manage other health conditions and injuries. To find out more about how an exercise physiologist can help you click on the links below;


Physiotherapists can help you if you have any issues with your muscles, joints or movements. Your physiotherapist will work with you to create activities that will help improve your balance, flexibility and strength. The Australian Physiotherapists Association has a current list of physiotherapists. To view this list click on the link below;

Community Physiotherapy Services offer group bases class that can assist you if you have a chronic condition or if you need assistance with rehabilitation. To find out more about the Community Physiotherapy Service click here.

Personal Trainers

A personal trainer can assists you with exercises to suit your needs and abilities. They can help to motivate you, set goals and assist you in building your strength and balance.


Your GP plays an important role in helping you to prevent falls and should be your first point of contact if you have any concern about your risk of falling. Your GP can help you with all aspects of your health and can refer you on to other services. To find out what services are available in your area visit the National Health Services Directory.


Your pharmacist is also a great person to speak to when it comes to reducing your risk of having a fall. Your pharmacist can do a medicines check to make sure your medicines are not interacting with any other medicines that you might be taking. They can also help you by showing you a range of different ways to manage your medicines through the use of a medicine list or a Webster Pack.

For more information on your local pharmacies you can contact the National Prescribing ServiceThe Pharmacy Guild of Australia and the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia


Your dietician can help you to look at your diet and how that is affecting your overall health and wellbeing.  A poor diet can cause dizziness, weakness, light headedness and reduced concentration, all of which can lead to a fall. For more information on dietitians visit the Dietician Association of Australia.

Occupational Therapists:

Occupational therapists can help you assess your home and makes changes to keep you safe and maintain your independence in your own home. Occupational Therapy Australia can help you find a private practice OT and also provides information regarding falls prevention.


As you get older your eyes change which may increase your risk of having a fall. The changes that occur in your eyes can affect your balance. It is important to see your optometrist regularly to have your eyes checked. The Optometrists Association of Australia can assist your with finding an optometrist.  Alternatively you can find one in your local eye wear store.


A podiatrist can assess your feet and can diagnose and treat any problems you may have with your feet. They can also give you exercises to help you improve your circulation, reduce swelling provide advice on suitable footwear. The Australasian Podiatry Council  can help you find a podiatrist in your local area.

Other professions

Falls specialists:

Falls specialists assist you in reducing your risk of falling. A falls specialist who is a trained physiotherapist or occupational therapist can visit you in your home to do an assessment to find out why you have had a fall. They can also help to reduce your risk of having a fall in the future.

Aboriginal Health Workers:

Aboriginal health workers can help you find services that are appropriate for your needs. They provide an important link between Aboriginal communities and health care services. For more information visit the below services;

Nurses and Practice Nurses:

Nurses play an important role in preventing falls and can assist you in finding the right health professional to suit your needs. Practice nurses can be found in some local GP’s offices and they can also assist you with an over 75 health check. Contact your local GP’s office for more information.

Stay up-to-date

Enter your e-mail address below to be kept up to date with the Stay On Your Feet® News and Views.

Stay On Your Feet® is provided by Injury Matters and funded by the Western Australian Department of Health.

Find out more
Government of Western Australia Department of Health Injury Matters