Call for more information on 1300 30 35 40

Have you seen our Build Your Balance video?

Click here to learn how you can build your balance today

Who can help if I have had a fall?

A number of health professionals can help you if you have had a fall:

Exercise Physiologists

Exercise physiologists can provide you with exercises that can help prevent falls, as well as manage other health conditions and injuries. To find out more about how an exercise physiologist can help you click on the links below:


Physiotherapists can help you if you have problems with your muscles, joints or movements. Your physiotherapist will work with you to come up with activities to improve your balance, flexibility and strength. The Australian Physiotherapists Association has a current list of physiotherapists. To view this list click on the link below:

  • Australian Physiotherapy Association
  • Community Physiotherapy Services offer group bases class that can assist you if you have a chronic condition or if you need assistance with rehabilitation. To find out more about the Community Physiotherapy Service click here.
Personal Trainers

A personal trainer can assist you with exercises to suit your needs and abilities. They can help to motivate you, help you to set goals, and assist you in building your strength and balance.


Your GP plays an important role in helping you to prevent falls and should be your first point of contact if you are concerned about your risk of falling. Your GP can help you with all aspects of your health and can refer you on to other services. To find out what services are available in your area visit the National Health Services Directory.


Your pharmacist is also a great person to speak to when it comes to reducing your risk of falling. Your pharmacist can check your medicines to make sure your medicines are not interacting with each other and that you are only taking the medicines you need. They can also help you by showing you different ways to manage your medicines- using a medicine list or a Webster Pack.

For more information on your local pharmacies you can contact the National Prescribing ServiceThe Pharmacy Guild of Australia and the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia


Your dietician can help you by looking at your diet and understanding how it is affecting your overall health and wellbeing. They can suggest changes to improve your diet.  A poor diet can cause dizziness, weakness, lightheadedness and loss of concentration, all of which can lead to a fall. For more information on dietitians visit the Dietician Association of Australia.

Occupational Therapists

Occupational therapists can help you to assess your home and makes changes to keep you safe and maintain your independence in your own home. Occupational Therapy Australia can help you find a private practice OT and also provides information on falls prevention.


As you get older your eyesight changes, which may increase your risk of having a fall. The changes that occur in your eyes can affect your balance. It is important to see your optometrist regularly to have your eyes checked. The Optometrists Association of Australia can assist you with finding an optometrist.  Alternatively, you can find an optometrist in your local eyewear store.


A podiatrist can assess your feet and diagnose and treat any foot problems you have. They can also give you exercises to help you improve your circulation and reduce swelling, and provide advice on suitable footwear. The Australasian Podiatry Council can help you find a podiatrist in your local area.

Falls specialists

Falls specialists can assist you in reducing your risk of falling. A falls specialist who is a trained physiotherapist or occupational therapist can visit you in your home to do an assessment to find out why you have had a fall. They can also help to reduce your risk of falling in the future.

Aboriginal Health Workers

Aboriginal health workers can help you find services that are appropriate for your needs. They provide an important link between Aboriginal communities and health care services. For more information visit the below services:

Nurses and Practice Nurses

Nurses play an important role in preventing falls and can assist you in finding the right health professional to suit your needs. They can also carry out an over 75 health check for you. Practice nurses can be found in some local GP offices. Contact your local GP office for more information.


Stay On Your Feet® is provided by Injury Matters and funded by the Western Australian Department of Health.

Find out more
Government of Western Australia Department of Health Injury Matters
Injury Matters acknowledge the Whadjuk Noongar people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we live and work, and recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples continuing connection to land, waters and community across Western Australia.