It may sound obvious but caring for our feet often slips our mind and can put us at risk of having a fall.
Having healthy feet and wearing correct footwear enables us to stand tall, walk and move around efficiently. We all grow older and as we do, our feet change, which makes wearing safe footwear extra important.
Safe footwear includes shoes that;
- Fit well,
- Are mostly flat, with a heel height of less than 2cm,
- Have a sole that bends at the ball of your foot, not the arch,
- Have a textured sole with the right amount of tread to stop us from slipping, but not too much that our shoes grab the ground,
- Have a heel with a rounded edge,
- Have a heel collar height to help support our feet, and
- Fastens to your foot with laces, straps, elastic, velcro or buckle.
Click here for more information about wearing correct footwear to prevent falls.
Download the Shoe Safety Checklist here.