Pets are a key member of many households with almost two thirds of Australian households’ owning pets. Pets make wonderful companions, relieve stress, provide a routine, encourage physical activity and offer a sense of safety for their owners.
However, pets can be a falls risk and can quite literally get under our feet!
Here are some quick tips to keep you and your pet/s safe.
- Place a bell on your pets’ collar. That way you can hear your pet coming.
- Recognise your pet’s habits. For example, if your pet gets overly excited when you get home, have a chair near your front door to sit on and wait for your pet to calm down before moving around your home.
- Improve your balance so you are able to respond as needed to your pets movements. Our Move Your Body resources have a variety of tips to help you challenge your strength and balance.
- Ensure your pet gets regular exercise. If you are unable to provide your pet with the amount of exercise it needs, consider hiring a dog walker or ask a family or friend for some help.
- Remove hazards from around your home to create a safe environment for both you and your pets. Our Home Safety Checklist is a great place to start.