Our Injury Prevention Officer, Sophie Leonard, chats with our Jo Godecke about how she’s keeping her body and mind healthy during our current isolation situation!
From connecting with her family and friends using technology, making sure her medicines are in check, and fuelling her body with nutritious foods, Jo also shared her favourite recipe with us! Lots of healthy oils and fiber, Jo often makes a large batch to keep in the fridge as a go-to, easy meal. Find her recipe below.
Pearl Barley and Pumpkin Seed Salad
340 calories / Serves 2
Pearl barley is a lovely wholegrain with a smooth surface and slightly nutty flavour. It is great for mopping up sauces or dressing; your microbiome will love it too!
- 1 tbsp full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon and zest of ½
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tbsp fresh dill or mint, chopped
- 1—g pearl barley (or pearled spelt)
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel or black sesame seeds
- ½ small apple, cored and diced
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a serving bowl with some sale and freshly ground black pepper
- Boil the pearl barley in plenty of water according to the packet instructions (usually around 40 minutes).
- When the pearl barley is cooked al dente, drain it and refresh it briefly under cold water. Stir it into the dressing in the bowl, along with the onion, pumpkin seeds, fennel seeds and apple.
Do you have a recipe to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Find out more on how you can Improve Your Health here.